Are you having issues with your Keurig K-Supreme Descale Light not turning off even though you have descaled the Keurig machine? If so, you are not alone. Many users have reported difficulty when trying to turn off the descale light. Luckily, there is a way to help turn off the descale light when it keeps coming on.
In this blog post, I’ll provide step-by-step instructions on troubleshooting your Keurig K-Supreme when the descale light won’t turn off. With these tips and tricks, you’ll be able to get your Keurig K-Supreme up and running in no time.
Reasons Why K-Supreme Descale Light ON
This common issue can be easily remedied with the right steps. Before you dive into troubleshooting, it’s important to understand why this is happening in the first place. Here are some of the most common reasons why the K-Supreme descale light might be staying on:
- One little mistake is pressing the wrong button, which could mess up the descaling process.
- The descaling solution you used to descale your Keurig may not have been the right one.
- You may not have followed the descaling process properly.
- Debris or sediment buildup in the waterline is another common reason your brewer may flash the ‘descale’ light.
How To Turn Off K-Supreme Descale Light
There are several ways to solve this issue. These troubleshooting ways work with all Supreme models.
Use Right Descaling Solution
When descaling your Keurig K-Supreme, it is important to make sure that you use the correct descaling solution. While vinegar and baking soda are great for some applications, they are not recommended for descaling your Keurig. The ideal descaling solution should contain citric acid and be specifically designed for coffee makers.
Keurig has manufactured its own descaling solution that works with all models of Keurig and can be bought as an individual solution or as a package that comes with rinse pods and filters to make it easy to keep your Keurig clean. Make sure you follow the instructions on the package.
It’s also important to note that if you haven’t descaled your Keurig for more than 6 months or have very hard water (high minerals water), you’ll need to descale it twice. This will help eliminate any stubborn limescale deposits and keep your machine running smoothly.
- Better tasting beverages: Reduces flavor carry over between brews
- Quickest way to clean your k cup pod holder: Rinse away residue and oils that can build up in your coffee maker
Follow Proper Descaling Instructions
With older Keurig models, you could just put some vinegar or descaling solution in the coffee maker and run some brews and rinses, and the descale light would come off.
With the Keurig K-Supreme and some newer models like the K-Express, you need to put it in DESCALE MODE and follow the exact descaling process for the descale light to come off. For instance, a little mistake, like touching the wrong button, could mess up the descaling process.
Many peoples descale their machines without following the correct instructions. It is wrong to do so as it can cause permanent damage to your machine. Always follow the descaling instructions that come with your Keurig machine.
The descaling process goes as follows:
- Add a bottle of Keurig descale solution and water to the tank.
- Press and hold the 8oz and 12oz buttons together for 3 seconds to activate Descale Mode.
- When the “K” button starts flashing, press it to dispense the solution.
- Once complete, throw the liquid into the sink.
- After this, rinse the water reservoir and refill it with fresh water to the MAX fill line.
- Place the mug or bowl again on the drip tray and press “K” to start the machine rinsing process.
- Repeat the rinsing process until the descale warning turns off. Each time, be sure to wait until the ADD WATER light turns on before refilling the reservoir with water.
- After the descaling process is complete, run one more cycle with fresh water to finish cleaning the machine before use.
Clean Obstructions From Waterline
If you find that your descale light won’t turn off after descaling, it may be because of an obstruction in the waterline. This can be done by following this process:
- Start by taking a turkey baster and sucking up some water.
- Splash the Baster directly into the nozzle where the tank meets the waterline.
- Repeat this a few more times until the water line runs clear.
- After completing this process, running a hot water cycle is important to ensure the waterline is cleaned out.
- Ensure that all clogs have been cleared and no residue remains in the waterline.
How To Reset K-Supreme Descale Light?
It may be time to reset if you’ve just descaled your Keurig coffee maker. Fortunately, it’s easy to do and only takes a few steps. Here’s how to do it:
- Begin by unplugging the Keurig from the power outlet.
- Once unplugged, eject the water reservoir and plugin.
- Press the start button to turn on the machine.
- Now reattach the water reservoir into the brewer.
- Finally, open and shut the brewer lid. You’re Done!
If the descale light has been reset, the machine will now be ready to use as usual. If it has not been reset, repeat the steps.
Is It Safe To Descale K-Supreme With Vinegar?
No, Keurig does not recommend descaling their Supreme Coffee Makers with vinegar. Vinegar contains acids that can corrode the metal parts of the coffee maker, cause leaks, and void your warranty.
Additionally, DIY solutions with vinegar or baking soda can leave an unpleasant taste and smell in your cup of coffee. For best results, use a descaling solution specifically designed for Keurig coffee makers. This solution contains safer types of acids that won’t damage the machine or alter the taste of your coffee.
Contact Keurig Customer Service
If you have followed the steps above and are still receiving the ‘DESCALE’ message, it might be time to get in touch with Keurig customer service. You can contact them online or by phone at 1-866-901-BREW (2739). They can provide further assistance and troubleshooting tips for your specific model of Keurig K-Supreme and help you get back to enjoying your favorite cup of coffee in no time.