Keurig coffee makers are widely used for their convenience and ease of use. With a simple push of a button, you can have a cup of hot and delicious coffee in no time. But one common problem many Keurig owners encounter is that even after they descale their machine, it still says “descale” when they turn it on. Why does this happen?
The answer lies in the way that Keurig machines detect calcium buildup. Descaling help to remove calcium deposits from your machine, but they don’t eliminate all traces of them. Even after using a descaler, some residue may remain inside your machine, which triggers the “descale” message on startup.
Reasons Why Keurig Descale Light Still Flashing After Descaling
Descaling your Keurig machine will help you enjoy the coffee you brew, which is why it’s essential to follow the directions carefully when doing so. However, even after following all the steps, there’s still an error message telling you to descale your brewer again. Even though this can seem annoying and cause you to wonder if there’s something wrong with your machine, it’s completely normal and nothing to worry about. There are three reasons your brewer may continue to flash descale light after a descaling process.
- The descaling solution you used to descale your Keurig may not have been the right one. It is important to use the descaling solution recommended by Keurig in order to clean your machine and prevent any breakdowns.
- You did not follow the descaling process properly. In order to make sure that your brewer is completely clean, you need to take the time to follow the steps precisely as they are explained in your descaling kit.
- Debris or Sedimentin in the waterline is another common reason your brewer may flash the ‘descale’ light.
4 Solutions To Get Rid Of Descale Message On Your Keurig (Already Descaled)
Fortunately, there are several ways to solve this issue. These troubleshooting ways work with all models, including K-Duo or Supreme. It is best to use more than one of these 4 solutions until you find the one that works for you.
Use The Right Descaling Solution
If you have already used the wrong one, try to get rid of the error message by using the descaling solution recommended by Keurig.
Keurig has manufactured its own descaling solution that works with all models of Keurig. You can buy the solution individually or as a package that comes with rinse pods and filters to make it easy to keep your Keurig clean. Follow the descaling instructions on the package.
If you have not descaled your Keurig for more than 6 months or have very hard water (high minerals water), you need to descale it twice.
Follow Proper Descaling Instructions
Many peoples descale their machines without following the correct instructions. It is very wrong to do so as it can cause permanent damage to your machine. Always follow the descaling instructions that come with your Keurig machine.
To enter descaling mode, you need to press and hold 8oz and 12oz together for 3 seconds. The brewer will turn on, and the descale light will comes on solid. Then run the descaling cycle the light will go out. Once you complete the descaling cycle, you must run only-water cycle.
Clean Obstructions From Waterline
If there are any obstructions in the waterline, this can cause the message to appear on your screen even after you have descaled it. Make sure you have disconnected and cleaned out any blockages before running a descaling cycle. This can be done by following this process:
- Take Turkey Baster and suck up some water.
- Splash the Baster directly into the nozzle where the tank meets the waterline.
- Repeat this a few more times until the water line runs clear.
- After completing this process, running a hot water cycle is important to ensure the waterline is cleaned out.
Contact Keurig Customer Service
If the above troubleshooting solutions have been completed and you are still getting the ‘Descale’ message, contact Keurig Customer Support online or by phone at 1-866-901-BREW (2739).
Don’t let a little descale message stop you from enjoying your favourite cup of coffee. Give Keurig customer service a call, and they’ll have you back up and running in no time.
How To Reset Keurig After Descaling?
It may be time to reset if you’ve just descaled your Keurig coffee maker. Fortunately, it’s easy to do and only takes a few steps. Here’s how to do it:
- Begin by unplugging the Keurig from the power outlet.
- Once unplugged, eject the water reservoir and plugin.
- Press the start button to turn on the machine.
- Now reattach the water reservoir into the brewer.
- Finally, open and shut the brewer lid. You’re Done!
If the descale light has been reset, the machine will now be ready to use as usual. If it has not been reset, repeat the steps above. These simple steps should help you reset the descale light on your Keurig coffee maker so you can enjoy your favourite hot drinks in no time!