Keurig does not come with a reset button, so you need to reset it yourself to turn the descale light off.
If you’re a coffee lover then you must own a Keurig. The reason behind Keurig’s popularity is how simple it is to operate, unlike other coffee machines. But people face some common issues with their Keurig. One of the major questions people usually ask is how to reset descale on Keurig after you have descaled your machine.
If you have this same question and facing this issue freaks you out, calm your nerves and stick to this guide because here you will have this query solved!
Why Do You Need To Reset Descale?
Descaling is an essential part of the cleaning process that helps you clean all the debris and coffee residues out of your brewer so that you can continue sipping your beautiful brewed coffee.
If left untreated, build-up calcium and minerals present inside the valves of your machine can become hard to get off and risk its overall health. So, resetting the machine after descaling is crucial because Keurig doesn’t come with a reset button, so you need to reset it yourself to turn the descale light off.
How Do You Know You Need To Reset Descale?
So, how do you know that your machine needs a reset? The answer to this question depends upon how your Keurig acts after descaling. If it still says to descale afterward, chances are your machine is trying to tell you these things I’ve listed below:
- Clogged needle of Keurig sometimes becomes the reason for your machine’s reset. You can take a needle or paper clip to clean the insides of the needle and get rid of all the dirt and coffee residues.
- Your descaling solution may need to be stronger to help clean the machine. You can use the solution Keurig recommends or buy a descaling kit with a water filter cartridge and rinse pods to clean your machine.
- There’s a high chance that you must descale your machine again because you didn’t do the task properly; hence the descale alert is still there.
How To Reset Keurig After Descaling
There are two ways you can reset your Keurig machine after descaling. The first way is to unplug the machine and wait for 20 minutes; your machine will be ready to brew.
The second way is to press and hold the 8oz and 10oz buttons for at least five seconds. Keurig specifically recommends the second way to their users whenever they need to reset their machines. See which one works best for you. These are the standard ways that go with almost every Keurig brewer.
This method will work for Keurig K-Duo and K-Duo Essential as well.
How to Reset Keurig 1.0 Models
It may be time to reset your Keurig if you’ve just descaled your machine and it is not brewing coffee. Keurig 1.0 models are simple and easy to reset; you don’t need any special technique to figure them out. By following these steps, you can reset your Keurig.
First, you need to open and close the brewer or K-cup lever; if your machine suddenly stops brewing after descaling, this will help reset the machine, and you can continue brewing.
After that, you’ll need to remove the water tank from your Keurig if it is removable. Turn off and unplug the machine. Wait an hour, put the tank back, plug it in, and turn on the machine.
This way can work well for mini Keurig and Keurig 1.0 models, and you can successfully brew the coffee now.
However, some of the Keurig models do not come with guidance on how to reset them, so I’ve listed those below:
How to Reset Keurig 2.0 Models
Unlike other Keurig models, Keurig 2.0 is hard to reset. Advanced displays make it harder for users to figure out reset it. But here is a complete steps on how to do that without worrying!
- Check the machine setting. See your machine’s menu and remove auto-shutdown and energy-saving features. This step will ensure your machine gets reset smoothly.
- Get rid of Air bubbles. There may be air bubbles trapped in the tube and disturbing the water flow. To quickly fix it, switch off your machine, unplug it, and wait 15 minutes. Hold your machine carefully upside down and gently tap its side to eliminate any of the air bubbles.
- Reset your Display. Check your display setting if it’s not working properly. Shut your machine and unplug it and wait for 15 minutes. Turn the machine on and set the display according to your choice. Get on the ‘lift to begin’ screen and open and close the brewer lever to start brewing normally.
These steps would reset your Keurig to continue brewing coffee after descaling. While resetting the machine, giving it time and waiting after every step is important to avoid messing with its setting.
How Would You Know If Your Keurig Is 1.0 Or 2.0?
The answer is simple; the main visible difference between these two is Keurig 1.0 models do not possess touchscreens and advanced features hence the simplicity. While Keurig 2.0 models do have digital screens with more smart features.
If you are the one specific to their coffee, like you worry about your cup size, temperature, etc., Keurig 2.0 is all you need.
How to Reset Keurig Machines With Display
Keurig machines with a digital display can be hard to figure out, and you’ll need more time to get along with it. Their screen confuses most of the users because of the options and features that come with it. But it’s easy to find out how to reset your Keurig after you’ve just descaled it.
These steps will help you with this:
- Small and medium cup buttons should be on your Keurig; press them immediately to start resetting.
- Please wait for 3 seconds and release them together.
- It would help if you pressed the menu button three times, one at a time.
- Again press the menu button, and you will see a message on your screen to brew.
- To be on the safer side, you should wait for 20 minutes. It’s good for your machine’s health, and it will thank you for this by brewing you delicious coffee.
How To Reset Keurig Without Display
Keurig models without display screens are easy to tackle, and understanding their operation is as easy as making a cup of coffee. But sometimes you need assistance with your machine because Keurig doesn’t come with a reset button, so many users need help with resetting their machine after descaling.
These three simple ways can help you; check which method will work for your Keurig model.
- Please turn off the machine and unplug it from the outlet.
- Press and hold the ON/OFF button, and while you press them, plug your machine into the outlet.
- After that, turn the machine on.
- Give your machine some time to freshen up and try to brew again.
These steps will help you reset your Keurig after descaling, and you can start brewing.
- Turn off your machine.
- Remove the plug from the outlet.
- Remove the water tank from your machine.
- Plug back in the outlet and turn on your machine.
- Wait five minutes while your machine realizes the water tank has been removed.
- ‘ADD WATER’ will flash on your machine.
- Attach the water tank back to the machine.
- You will need to open and close the pod holder.
- Your machine is ready to start now.
This method is similar to the previous one, but I have put it in steps for your convenience.
- Turn the machine off and get the plug out of the outlet.
- Detach the water tank from the machine.
- Wait for an hour.
- Put the tank back into the machine.
- Plug it in and turn it on.
- You will need to wait for more than five minutes before starting brewing.
These methods will help you in resetting your Keurig machine.
How to Reset Keurig Compact
You will need to follow these steps to reset your Keurig classic:
- First of all, you will need to open and close the lid.
- Hold down the power button.
- Look at your machine and see the small, medium, and large cup buttons.
- Press them down in the order they are placed on your machine.
- Your machine will get into the resetting mode.
- You must open and close the lid after your machine stops priming.
- Wait 10 minutes to slow down your machine and set the cup size on your machine.
- Your machine is ready to make you your desired coffee.
How to Reset Keurig Supreme Models
After you’ve descaled your Keurig Supreme and it cannot brew, try this method, and you will surely reset and be ready to use.
- On its display, you can see two arrows, one on the left and the other on the right. Press down both buttons, and it will show you the menu.
- Click next, and then click advance.
- If you want to set your machine on its actual setting, after clicking advance choose factory setting and press the K button to select.
- Give your Keurig some time while it primes itself for brewing.
- When the machine is done with resetting, you will need to unplug it.
- Please wait 10 seconds, plug it in, and turn your machine on.
- Set your machine’s settings, like wifi connection, favorites, etc., as your choice, and you are good to go.
Apart from descaling, if your machine stops brewing coffee suddenly and you don’t have an idea, other things may be going on with your machine. In this situation, you can look for your Keurig needle, and make sure it is cleaned. Also, look if your Keurig has enough water in the water tank because sometimes your Keurig won’t brew the size you need with the quantity of water it has in the reservoir.
Still Can’t reset the machine?
If you are still having issues and resetting the machine could have been more helpful for you, feel free to contact the Keurig helpline to resolve the issue.
After descaling, your Keurig machine is not behaving is normal; usually, every Keurig user has faced this issue. So Try the methods mentioned above according to your Keurig Model; hopefully, this will solve your problem easily.
Ensure you take care of your machine’s maintenance and clean it regularly to ensure its best performance. Always listen to what your machine is trying to tell you; your machine is worthy enough to be cared for. Your machine will be grateful to you for this act of service and will give your amazing coffee for years.