Is your Keurig K-Express descale light staying on and won’t turn off? If so, you are not alone. Many users have reported difficulty when trying to turn off the descale light. Luckily, there is a way to help turn off the descale light when it keeps coming on.
In this blog post, I’ll provide step-by-step instructions on Keurig K-Express descale light reset. With these tips and tricks, you’ll be able to get your coffee maker up and running in no time.
How To Reset Descale Light On Keurig K-Express
If your Keurig K-Express’s descale light is still on after cleaning, try these easy steps to turn it off:
- Unplug your coffee maker.
- Remove and clean the water tank (don’t put it back yet).
- Plug the brewer back in and hit the start button.
- Put the water tank back correctly.
- Open and close the brewer’s lid. Your K-Supreme descale light should now be off.
If these steps don’t work for your K-Express, check out the next section. It has a detailed process to turn off the Keurig K-Express Descale Light.
How To Turn Off K-Express Descale Light
To turn off the K-Express descale light, you need to put your coffee maker in “Descale mode.” It is very important to follow the exact steps of the descaling process without making any mistakes, like pressing the wrong button to make the light turn off.
If trying this doesn’t turn off the descale light, don’t worry. Here are some other things you can try:
- Follow Proper Descaling Steps – Make sure to do every step correctly.
- Run More Water Cycle – Sometimes running more water through the machine helps.
- Clean the Reservoir Valve – Cleaning this part might be the solution.
- Clean Obstructions From Waterline – Sometimes, stuff blocking the waterline can be the problem.
I will explain each of these solutions in more detail in the sections below. Stay tuned!
1. Follow Proper Descaling Steps
In the past, turning off the descale light on Keurig machines was simple. You just had to run some vinegar or a special solution through it a few times. But for the Keurig K-Express and other new models, it’s a bit different.
You have to use a special setting called “DESCALE MODE.” It is very important to follow each step carefully. Even a small mistake, like pressing the wrong button, can stop the light from turning off.
Some people try to clean their machines without following the right steps. This is not a good idea because it can break your coffee maker for good. So, always use the instructions that come with your Keurig to make sure you do it right and keep your machine working well.
The descaling process goes as follows:
- Add a bottle of Keurig descale solution and water to the tank.
- Press and hold the 8oz and 12oz buttons together for 3 seconds to activate Descale Mode.
- When the BREW button starts flashing, press it to dispense the solution.
- Once complete, throw the liquid into the sink.
- After this, rinse the water reservoir and refill it with fresh water to the MAX fill line.
- Place the mug or bowl again on the drip tray and press BREW to start the machine rinsing process.
- Repeat the rinsing process until the descale warning turns off. Each time, be sure to wait until the ADD WATER light turns on before refilling the reservoir with water.
- After the descaling process is complete, run one more cycle with fresh water to finish cleaning the machine before use.
2. Run More Water Cycle
After you descale your Keurig K-Express, it’s important to rinse it well. Keurig recommends running at least twelve rinsing brews. Your machine helps you count these by using the “add water” light.
To make the descale light turn off, you might need to empty the water reservoir two or three times. Make sure it completely empties before you refill it. Some people try to save time by refilling it before it’s empty, but this can stop the light from turning off.
Even if your Keurig doesn’t have a special descale mode, it’s still good to let the water tank empty completely when you rinse it. I even asked a Keurig customer support person, and they said running extra rinse cycles can help.
Sometimes, little bits of the cleaning solution can stick inside the machine and make it think it still needs cleaning. That’s why it’s important to use the right solution. Keurig makes one that’s perfect for their machines. It comes with everything you need to clean your machine easily.
Remember, if your water is very hard or you haven’t cleaned your machine in over 6 months, you might need to clean it twice to get rid of all the buildup. This will help your Keurig work better and last longer.
3. Clean the Reservoir Valve
The reservoir valve is a small part at the bottom of your Keurig’s water tank. It’s the place where water goes into the machine to make your coffee. Things like limescale can sometimes build up there, especially if you use unfiltered water. This can cause the descale light to come on and even stop your machine from working.
To keep your Keurig working well, you need to clean this valve regularly. Here is how you can do it:
- First, take the water tank out of the machine.
- Find the valve at the bottom of the tank. It’s a small piece that the water flows through.
- Use a toothpick or a straight paperclip to clean around the valve gently. This will get rid of any dirt or buildup that might be stopping it from working right.
- Put the water tank back in the machine.
- Run a cycle with just water to wash away any leftover dirt.
Doing this cleaning will help turn off the descale light and make sure your Keurig keeps making great coffee. It’s a good idea to let the cleaning solution sit in the water tank for about half an hour before you rinse it to clean the valve really well.
4. Clean Obstructions From Waterline
Sometimes, the reason the descale light won’t turn off is because something is blocking the waterline. To fix this, you can clean out the waterline to make sure water can flow through it easily. Here is a simple way to do it:
- First, get a turkey baster and fill it with some water.
- Next, squirt the water from the baster into the spot where the water tank connects to the waterline.
- Do this a few times until you see that the water is flowing clearly and there is no more dirt coming out.
- After that, run a cycle with hot water to make sure the waterline is completely clean.
- Check to make sure there are no more blockages and that all the dirt is gone.
Is It Safe To Descale Keurig Express With Vinegar?
No, it’s not safe to use vinegar to clean your Keurig K-Express. Keurig says that vinegar can harm the metal parts inside the coffee maker. It can cause leaks and might even cancel your warranty.
Also, using vinegar or baking soda can leave a bad taste and smell in your coffee. It’s better to use a descaling solution made just for Keurig coffee makers. This special solution is safe for your machine and won’t change the taste of your coffee.
Contact Keurig Customer Service
If you’ve tried everything and the Keurig K-Express descale light still won’t turn off, it might be time to contact Keurig Support. They know all about these coffee makers and can help you find a solution.
Remember, it’s important not to mess with your coffee maker too much, because you could lose your warranty. So, if you can’t reset the machine and the light stays on, talking to Keurig Support should be your last step.
Even though it’s annoying when the Keurig K-Express descale light won’t turn off, most of the time you can fix it with the tips in this article. Following these steps can help you get back to enjoying your coffee without any problems.
It wasn’t until high school that I regularly started drinking coffee. I grew up in Houston, TX. I have experience with many types of coffee makers as well as cupping, roasting, and brewing techniques. I take pride in creating a great cup of coffee. My Coffee City’s main goal is to provide authentic information to readers.