I bought my new Nespresso citiZ machine, and it’s been quite some time since I’m enjoying my fresh brewed coffee every day, but now there’s been two days, I’m feeling a slight change in the taste of my coffee, it is going bitter and harsh now, going through the same issue? Well, worry no more because you made it to the right place where I will discuss this issue and how to solve it conveniently.
By following these guidelines and investing approximately 20-25 minutes of your time, you can easily descale your Nespresso CitiZ machine and rediscover the true flavors of your favorite coffee. So, let’s embark on this journey.
How Often to Descale Your CitiZ
Nespresso machines can go fine without cleaning, but it is recommended to descale your coffee maker thrice a year to get you perfect quality coffee.
Descaling is the key maintenance process in which you eliminate all the impurities preventing the machine from making you great coffee. These impurities often result from mineral buildup in the machine caused by the water used for brewing. Descaling helps you clean that build-up to continue sipping your perfectly brewed coffee.
However, do not use vinegar for descaling because it can damage your machine’s insides. Therefore, be sure your Nespresso machine needs to be descaled using the descaling kit.
The descaling kit has a solution specially prepared to resolve the build-up that occurs to your machine and affects your coffee machine badly.
SIDENOTE: The descaling solution can damage your kitchen counter, so place a cloth underneath the machine if any spill happens.
Gather Necessary Materials
- 1L container
- Descaling kit (Official)
Steps To Descale Nespresso CitiZ
Here is the complete guide on descaling your Nespresso citiZ, so let’s go!
STEP 1 – PREPARE THE MACHINE
- Empty the capsule container, drip tray, and water tank. Also, your machine must be free from capsules.
- Thoroughly wash the capsule container, drip tray, and water tank, fill the tank half with pure water, and refit everything in the machine.
- Place a container of at least 1L under the coffee outlet.
STEP 2 – START THE PROCESS
- Pour one packet of descaling solution into the half-filled water tank.
- Press the lungo and espresso buttons spontaneously to activate the descaling mode.
- Buttons will flash for about 25-30 seconds. In the meantime, the machine is being heated to prepare for the process.
- When the flashing stops, there you can start the process.
- Press and hold the cup button for 5 seconds, and release it to start the descaling process. You will see the solution coming out of the coffee outlet, clearing all the build-up through your machine.
- Pour the used solution into the water tank, empty the water tray, and refit.
STEP 3 – REPEAT THE PROCESS
- Place the container under the coffee outlet, press, hold and release the cup button.
- The solution will come out of the outlet. Empty the container.
- Refill the full water tank.
- Empty the water tray and reinsert it.
STEP 4 – RINSE THE MACHINE
- Place the empty container and press the cup button for the last time to allow all the water to drain from the outlet.
- Press the lungo and espresso buttons simultaneously again to exit the descaling mode.
- Empty and wash the container, water tray, and tank.
- Reassemble them properly, and remember to refill the water tank. Let’s machine get some rest for 10 minutes before you start brewing coffee.
I tried to make the process as simple as possible; the whole process of descaling requires you 20-25 minutes from your day, and look how easily you will get your machine descaled; if you are a new coffee brewer, then this process might be tiresome for you but believe me, the coffee you will get after this process fades the tiredness away, be the friend your machine would love to make coffee for, Happy brewing coffee!!
It wasn’t until high school that I regularly started drinking coffee. I grew up in Houston, TX. I have experience with many types of coffee makers as well as cupping, roasting, and brewing techniques. I take pride in creating a great cup of coffee. My Coffee City’s main goal is to provide authentic information to readers.