Having a nice cup of coffee is a great way to begin your day. But, if your Keurig K-Mini coffee maker is not working right, like not pumping water or coffee, it can be hard to enjoy your coffee. Don’t worry, this can happen for different reasons, and there are ways to find and fix the problem.
In this guide, I will show you some easy steps to make your K-Mini coffee maker work properly again. This way, you can happily enjoy your morning coffee!
Why Does Keurig Mini Not Pumping Water?
Is your Keurig Mini making noises but not giving out water? This usually happens because something is blocking the water inside the machine. These blockages stop the water from flowing properly. There are a few reasons why this happens, and knowing these reasons is the first step to solving the issue.
How To Notice Keurig K-Mini Not Pumping
If your Keurig K-Mini isn’t making coffee properly, it can be really annoying, especially when you really want your morning coffee. But how do you know if the machine isn’t working right? Here are some easy ways to find out what’s wrong:
- Turning Off Too Soon: The machine turns ON, but then turns OFF too quickly before it can make coffee.
- Water Warnings: Even if there’s enough water, the machine keeps showing an ADD WATER message.
- Stuck Warming Up: The Keurig takes too long to warm up and doesn’t start making coffee.
- Dripping Slowly: The coffee comes out too slowly, or you don’t get enough coffee.
- Coffee Doesn’t Taste Good: The coffee tastes strange, or you see tiny bits floating in your cup that shouldn’t be there.
How To Fix Keurig Mini Not Pumping Water Issue
Fortunately, in most cases, the underlying cause is something that can be easily addressed. Here are the most common reasons and their solutions:
1. Problem With Water Reservoir
First, check the water container when your Keurig isn’t giving out water. This is a simple fix. Sometimes, the issue is here. Make sure there is water in the container, or else the machine won’t work. Always fill it with fresh, cold water and check the water level before making coffee.
Also, make sure the water container is put in the right way. If it’s not placed properly, your Keurig might not work. Ensure it is tightly set in place. Remember to close the lid properly, too, or you might have issues.
There’s also a magnet inside the water container that you might not know about. It helps the machine know how much water is inside. But, the magnet can move from its place because of the machine’s vibrations when making coffee. If this happens, your Keurig might think there is no water, even when it’s full.
If you think this is the problem, tap the container gently near the magnet to put it back in place. If that doesn’t work, try shaking it a bit. If it still doesn’t work, you might need to get a new water reservoir.
2. Keurig Require Descaling
If the water container isn’t the issue, the next thing you should do is descale the Keurig to fix the pumping problem. If you use hard water, which has lots of minerals, in your Keurig, it can make more limescale. You can check if your water is hard with a cheap test kit. If your water is hard, you’ll need to clean your machine more often.
Keurig has a special cleaning solution. It’s important to use it the way the instructions say. Usually, you should clean your Keurig every three to six months. If you haven’t cleaned it in a long time, it probably has limescale inside.
Here’s how to clean your Keurig:
- Buy a cleaning solution. Keurig has one, but others are good too.
- Mix the solution with water and put it in the Keurig.
- Place a big cup under the coffee spout.
- Run the Keurig a few times without coffee to clean it.
- Then, run it with just clean water a few times to rinse it.
3. Cleaning the Water Line
If descale your Keurig didn’t solve the problem, the next thing to check is the water line. The water line is a tube that brings water from the container to the part where coffee is made. Minerals from the water can block this tube over time, stopping the water from flowing through.
To fix this issue, you will need to clean the water line.
- Removing and emptying the water tank. Also, remove the water filter holder.
- Flip the reservoir over and locate the nozzle with the spring. Take something like an eraser end of a pencil and try pushing the spring a few times.
If the spring moves easily, that is the problem with the water line.
- Attach the tank back to the machine and fill it with a few inches of water.
- Take Turkey Baster and suck up some water.
- Splash the Baster directly into the nozzle where the tank meets the water line. This will allow you to flush out the water line and nozzle.
- Repeat this several times until the water line runs clear.
After completing this process, running a hot water cycle is important to ensure the water line is cleaned out.
4. Cleaning the Needles
If your Keurig Mini still isn’t pumping after checking the water line, the needles might be causing the issue. These needles poke into the coffee pod, letting water flow in to make your coffee. But, they can get blocked sometimes, stopping the water.
Here’s how to clean the needles easily:
- First, turn off your machine and unplug it to be safe.
- Next, remove the cup holder from your Keurig. It has different parts attached; separate them for cleaning.
- Focus on the exit needle on the cup holder, where the coffee comes out. If it’s blocked, use a paperclip or needle to gently clean it. Poke inside to remove any blockages.
- Then, find the entrance needle under the part where coffee is made. It has two holes that might need cleaning. Use a paperclip or needle to gently remove any blockages.
- After cleaning both needles, put the cup holder back together and in the machine.
- Lastly, turn on your Keurig. Run a cycle with only water on the largest cup setting. This cleans the inside, making sure your machine is ready to make coffee.
More Advanced Issues – Keurig Mini Not Pumping
If you’ve tried everything and your Keurig still isn’t working, there might be more serious problems to look at.
If you don’t hear any sound from the motor when trying to use your Keurig, the motor might be broken. In this case, you might need to change the motor or sometimes even the whole machine.
Problems with Water Pump
The water pump could also be a problem. It can get worn out after being used for a long time. If you’ve tried all other ways to fix it and it’s still not working, the water pump might need to be replaced.
Make sure to get a pump that fits your Keurig model. Changing the pump might seem easy, but it’s usually better to get a professional to do it. They know the machine well and can make sure it’s fixed safely and correctly.
Asking for Professional Help
If nothing seems to work, it might be best to contact Keurig customer service. They can help guide you on what to do next. They can tell you about more ways to fix it, or about repair options. If your machine is still under warranty, they might even give you a new one. It’s always good to ask for expert advice when dealing with complicated issues.
It wasn’t until high school that I regularly started drinking coffee. I grew up in Houston, TX. I have experience with many types of coffee makers as well as cupping, roasting, and brewing techniques. I take pride in creating a great cup of coffee. My Coffee City’s main goal is to provide authentic information to readers.