There’s nothing like a delicious cup of espresso to start your day off right. If you’re a coffee-lover, you know that a Nespresso machine is a great way to get your fix at home for better coffee. But like any machine, it also needs to be properly taken care of or descaling regularly. Here’s a quick guide on how to descale Nespresso VertuoLine Machines in just a few easy steps!
What is Descaling?
Descaling is the process of removing built-up mineral deposits from the heating element of your coffee machine. This is important to do on a regular basis, especially if you live in an area with hard water. Over time, mineral deposits can cause your machine to not work properly or even damage it.
Moreover, if you don’t descale your machine, it will start to produce less-than-ideal coffee. The flavor and aroma of your espresso will be affected, and you may even start to see white crusty build-up on your machine.
How Do You Know When Vertuo Needs Descaling?
The best way to determine if your machine needs to be descaled is by checking the water tank. If the water looks murky or cloudy, that’s a sign that it’s time for a descaling. You can also test the water hardness with a water hardness testing kit. If the water hardness is high, your machine must be descaled more often. Following are the more things you should also notice to indicate:
- White build-up on the water tank or inside the machine
- The machine takes longer than usual to heat up the water
- The machine produces less-than-ideal coffee
- Your espresso has a strange taste or smell to it
How To Descale Nespresso VertuoLine
The Vertuo Machines is quite a handy machine, but if you don’t have time to clean it regularly then it will clog up and become unusable. In order to ensure that your coffee maker remains in tip-top condition for as long as possible, it’s important to descale it on a regular basis. Below we’ll take you through how to do:
How To Descale Nespresso Vertuo
If you’re using a Nespresso Vertuo machine, the process of descaling is a little different. When Vertuo’s descaling was required, it blink yellowish light three times. Here are the steps to descale a Nespresso Vertuo machine:
- First, open the machine and remove the used capsule, then reclose it and leave the lever in an unlocked position.
- Remove the capsule container and drip tray, and empty any water or capsules that are in them.
- Fill the water tank with 500 ml of water and one Nespresso Descaling Solution, then press the power button to turn on the machine.
- During the preheating phase, the descaling light will start blinking. After 15 seconds, press the power button and hold it for 7 secs, the light will start blinking quickly.
- Lock the machine by turning the lever to the lock symbol and again unlocking it.
- Hold the button again for 7 secs, in unlock position, and release it.
- Place a container under the nozzle, then lock the lever and press the button once.
- All the descaling solutions will come out. After the solution is dispensed, remove the tank and rinse it with water.
- Refill the tank with 500 ml of fresh water and insert it back into the machine.
- Place the container again under the machine and push the power button to turn it on.
- The machine will start brewing and stop automatically when it’s done.
- To exit the descaling mode, hold the button for 7 secs in unlock position and release it.
- After completing these steps, your Vertuo machine will be descaled and ready to use. Enjoy your coffee!
Note: After this process, wait at least 10 minutes before using the machine.
How To Descale Nespresso VertuoPlus
If your Vertuo Plus machine requires descaling, both the red and green lights will indicate at once. In order to descale a Vertuo Plus, you will need a pitcher or container that can hold at least 1 liter of water and one Nespresso Descaling Solution agent.
- First, open the machine and remove the used capsule. Close it again and turn off the machine by pushing the lever down position for 3 seconds
- Remove the capsules holder and drip tray and empty any water or capsules that are in them.
- Fill the water tank with 500 ml of water and the Nespresso Descaling Solution agent.
- Press the power button and push the lever in the down position at the same time for 3 seconds.
- When the orange light is on, your machine is in menu mode. To enter the descaling mode, push the lever one time.
- Place the container under the machine and push the power button to turn it on.
- The machine will begin brewing; the orange light will be blinking during the descaling.
- After brewing is done, rinse the tank with water and fill it again with 500 ml of fresh water.
- Put the tank and container back in the machine, and turn it on by pushing the power button 3 times.
- The machine rinses within less than 2 minutes and stops automatically when it’s done.
- The green light will come on when the descaling is finished.
- To exit the descaling mode, press the lever and power button at the same time for 3 seconds. Let the machine cool down for 10 minutes before using it again.
Note: The procedure can stop at any time by pressing the power button 3 times. In this case, the machine will start again automatically. If this happens, empty the tank and repeat the steps.
How To Descale Nespresso Vertuo Next
The descaling process is very important in order to maintain your De’Longhi Vertuo Next brewer in optimal condition. Descaling helps remove built-up calcium and magnesium from the water reservoir and brewing system, which can impair the brewer’s function over time. It takes approximately 20 minutes to descale your brewer, and you will need a container to collect the wastewater. To descale your Vertuo Next machine:
- First, empty capsules container and drip tray.
- Fill a container with 0.5 liters of fresh water, and add one unit of descaling solution.
- Then close and lock the machine. Start the machine by pressing the coffee button.
- The light will blink when the machine is heating up and wait for it to stop blinking.
- Open the head eject any capsules from the machine and close it again. (Leave the lever in the unlocked position)
- To enter descaling mode, press the coffee button and hold it for 7 seconds.
- The light will start blinking rapidly you have 45 sec to enter descaling mode otherwise it will cancel.
- Turn the lever in a lock position and unlock it. Then hold the button for 7 seconds.
- Place a container under the coffee outlet to catch the wastewater.
- Lock the lever again and press the button.
- The machine will start the descaling process and you’ll see the water come out from the spout.
- Rinse the container and drip tray and refill the water tank with fresh water.
- Place the tank and container again under the spout and press the coffee button.
- When the light stops blinking, your machine is descaled and ready to use.
- Wait for the machine for up to 10 minutes to cool down before use.
How To Descale Nespresso Evoluo
VertuoLine Evoluo machines boast a new descaling system that makes your espresso experience even better. This quick and easy process helps to remove any built-up mineral deposits on your machine, making your espresso taste fresher and more consistent.
- First, turn on the machine, open the head and eject the used capsules.
- Close the head and leave the lever in the UNLOCKED position.
- You need to empty the container and the cup holder. Pour the one-unit Nespresso descaling solution into the water tank and add 500 milliliters of water.
- To start the descaling mode, hold down the button for 7 seconds. The start will start blinking.
- Then lock the lever and unlock it again by turning to the unlock symbol.
- Press and hold the button for about 7 seconds, keeping the lever in the UNLOCKED position.
- Place a 1000 ml-capable container under the coffee spout.
- To start descaling, lock the lever and push the button once. The entire contents of the descaling solution should flow through the machine.
- Once it is complete, the machine will shut off automatically. Then rinse out the water tank and the cup supporter with fresh water.
- Refill the water tank with drinking water. Press the button again the machine will start flowing water. After completing this process, the machine will stop automatically.
- After all, press and hold the button for 7 seconds, and the light will stay lit when you exit the descaling mode.
Note: After this process, wait at least 10 minutes before using the machine. As you can see, it’s not a complicated process. It’s easy to do and will ensure your coffee maker is clean and ready to use.
Can You Use Vinegar To Descale Nespresso Machine?
Vinegar is a versatile cleaning agent that can be used for everything from household chores to natural remedies. It’s also used for professional solutions. But can you use vinegar to descale Nespresso? the answer is No! because vinegar will damage your coffee machines. You should avoid using vinegar on your Nespresso if you want to keep it in good condition.
What Should Do If The Light Flashing After Descaling?
If your Nespresso machine is still flashing the descale light after you’ve descaled it, it means that there’s either a problem with the sensor or that the machine may not have been fully descaled. So, descale the machine again and also check the following:
- Ensure that there are at least two inches of water in the tank.
- Ensure that you’re using the Nespresso descaling agent when descaling.
- Check for leaks around the machine.
If the descale light still flashes after you’ve done all of these checks, it means that there is a problem with the machine and you should get it serviced.
Since descaling is one of the simplest and most important steps you can take to keep it running at its best. By cleaning out the coffee filter and descaling the machine, you’ll ensure that your espresso is tasting fresh and flavorful every time.
Hopefully, after reading this article you will have all the knowledge you need to know about the importance of descaling your coffee machine. You’ll also know the best practices on how to descaling Nespresso Vertuo models.