Keurig Supreme series is a popular choice for coffee lovers looking for an easy and convenient way to make a perfect cup of coffee. But for the machine to continue functioning at its best, it must be maintained properly. The build-up of minerals and other residues can significantly reduce the taste and quality of your coffee. Descaling your Keurig Supreme is important in keeping it clean and in good condition. It is a simple process that takes no more than 15 minutes and can be done once every two months or so.
In this blog post, we’ll explain how to descale Keurig Supreme all models in just a few easy steps. Read on to learn how!
How Often To Descale Keurig Supreme Brewers
You should descale your Keurig Supreme every 3 months to prevent limescale build-up, even if you are using a water filter. If you have hard water, descaling more often is recommended. If you’re not sure if you have hard water, you can get a low-cost testing kit.
Your brewer also alerts you when it is time to descale, but this alert may be triggered more by time or K Cups used than the actual mineral build-up. If your Keurig Supreme has been out of use for a while, it’s also a good idea to descale it.
With a bit of regular maintenance, you’ll keep your Keurig Supreme running optimally for years to come. It’s easy to descale your Keurig Supreme – all you need is a descaling solution and a few minutes of your time!
- INCLUDES: 4 Keurig Rinse Pods, 1 Descale Solution, and 2 Water Filter Cartridge Refills
- RINSE PODS: reduces flavor carry-over between brews
Descaling Instructions Keurig Supreme Series
Descaling your Keurig Supreme models is a simple process that will help keep your coffee maker working at its best. To get started, all you need are a few simple ingredients, including a large ceramic mug, fresh water, Keurig Descaling Solution, access to a sink, and the easy-to-follow instructions below. With minimal effort, you can restore your machine to its original level of performance.
Steps To Descale K-Supreme or K-Supreme Plus
- Begin by emptying the water tank and ejecting any K-cup inside the brewer.
- Pour the descaling solution into the tank, fill the empty bottle with water, and pour it into the tank.
- Place a large mug or bowl on the coffee nozzle.
- To initiate the descaling process, ensure the brewer is plugged in and powered off. Press and hold the 8oz and 12oz buttons together for 3 seconds to activate Descale Mode.
- When the BREW button starts flashing, press it to dispense the solution.
- Once complete, throw the liquid into the sink.
- After this, rinse the water reservoir and refill it with fresh water to the MAX fill line.
- Place the mug or bowl again on the drip tray and press BREW to start the machine rinsing process.
- Repeat the rinsing process until the descale warning turns off. Each time, be sure to wait until the ADD WATER light turns on before refilling the reservoir with water.
- After the descaling process is complete, run one more cycle with fresh water to finish cleaning the machine before use.
Steps To Descale Keurig Supreme Plus SMART
SIDENOTE: Remove the water filter from the water reservoir if applicable.
- Empty the water tank and eject any K-cup inside the machine.
- If the Descale notification appears on the screen, press the left arrow and choose CONTINUE. Choose a descaling product, 20z Pouch or 140z Bottle.
- If you want to descale your brewer but don’t see the descale notification on display, press both arrows simultaneously to open Settings. Then select Descale Mode.
- Pour the descaling solution into the tank, fill the empty bottle with water, and pour it into the tank. (If you are using the Pouch, add 140oz water into the reservoir)
- Press the blinking BREW button to start dispensing. Discard the dispensed solution and replace the mug on the coffee outlet. Repeat until the water reservoir is empty and the screen displays ADD WATER.
- After this, rinse the water tank and refill it with fresh water to the MAX fill line.
- Place the mug or bowl again on the coffee outlet and press BREW to start the rinsing process. Repeat this step until the screen says DESCALE COMPLETE.
Is It Safe To Descale Keurig Supreme With Vinegar?
No, Keurig does not recommend descaling their Supreme Coffee Makers with vinegar. Because vinegar has acid – white vinegar has 5-8% acetic acid, and apple cider vinegar and lemon juice have 5-6%. This type of acid can corrode metal parts of the coffee maker, cause leaks, and void your warranty. Additionally, using a DIY solution with vinegar or baking soda can leave an unpleasant taste and smell in your cup of coffee. For best results, use a descaling solution specifically designed for Keurig coffee makers. This solution contains safer types of acids that won’t cause damage to the machine or alter the taste of your coffee.
How To Fix K Supreme If It Fails After Descaling
It is possible that your K Supreme coffee maker may fail after descaling. This is a common problem, and it can be solved in a few simple steps. You should check my troubleshooting guide for the issue and follow the steps outlined in it. If this doesn’t help resolve the issue, you should contact the company’s customer service for help or assistance. They can provide a repair or maintenance service if the machine is still within its one-year warranty period.
For more advanced users, they can try opening up the brewer and resetting the thermal switch. However, this will void the warranty, so we advise against it unless you are sure that you know what you are doing. After resetting the thermal switch, run a full brew cycle before using the coffee maker again to ensure that the problem has been resolved.